Tuesday 15 July 2008

Platte and that billing software V: a third uninstaller

I am pleased to say that Platte are responding to this blog's exposure of their hidden files and there is now another new uninstall tool up for download. This removes all bar one of the hidden files (although the remaining visible files are untouched) and is therefore an improvement on earlier builds.

Many people are having difficulty accessing the uninstall utility; this link will take you directly to the download.

I 'll explain here exactly what still gets left behind; those who feel that they had an unwelcome intruder in their computer (or don't have their uninstall instructions any longer - you would need to use the supplied code again) will probably still want to seek professional assistance and achieve a full removal. It is to be hoped that Platte are still working on this and finally offer an uninstaller that actually does the job before too long (don't hold your breath though).

If you have not read my earlier posts on Platte, you may find it helpful to do so.

The new uninstaller downloads as before as a setup.exe file:





How do you know you've got the latest one? Right-click on the file and select 'Properties' from the drop-down menu. A small applet opens, and you should go to the 'Digital Signatures' tab. This will show the timestamp as 14 July 2008 09:01:07 :






You run this as before, entering your code. This time I found that the hidden folder on the C drive (and all the files within it) were removed, although the files elsewhere remain. In the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder there are two icon files for 'Platte' and for 'Get Films Now', plus a third file which is the remaining hidden system file. Its name is a ten figure number followed by .sys, and since the number is different for each computer (and with it being a hidden system file) it can be difficult to find. As I said in my original post on Platte, system files are notoriously difficult for uninstall tools to remove anyway, and this one is likely to be doubly so because of that unique file name. In the photo below it is in the upper left-hand corner. What does it do? That's difficult to determine. I would have said that it was that unique and non-removable identifier they promised (and I still think it is) but since Platte said in one of their emails that the licence is in the registry I must be wrong I suppose. Since its purpose is uncertain it should definitely be removed, either by a professional or by a skilled acquaintance (not by one of your children, however skilled you like to think them):





In the C:\Program Files folder there is still the 'Platte Information Files' folder:





This contains two further files (one of which is executable) plus a shortcut:





Clicking on the first of these files throws up a display of your supposedly deleted Platte account details (this is from the executable file):





The second gives you the details of the contract that was agreed at the time of setting up your account:





So that's it. From having 6 of the 44 files removed we have now gone to having 39 removed and only 5 left behind. Maybe one day Platte will offer an uninstall tool that actually removes the lot. Even now, I do not think it in the slightest unreasonable to bill Platte for using a professional to achieve a complete removal and obviously there is also the question of compensation for Platte's clear breach of the original agreement. I would have thought that a sum of lets say £30 per customer would be pretty fair given all the circumstances.

My next post on this will cover general aspects of computer security, with particular emphasis on how to keep software of this nature off your computer in the first place. I conscious that I promised an analysis of registry changes in an earlier post and I will indeed post on that, but not until it becomes clear that Platte are not proposing any further immediate builds of their uninstaller since reading through registry files is very time consuming. But I'm going to go back on what I said in my original post; I'll put up full illustrated instructions for removing these files safely (since Platte can't manage it).

There remain of course other areas of concern over this software, but I will cover the main ones when I address the security issues. In the meantime, I hope these posts have been of help.


Go to my next post on Platte Media

7 comments:

dougB19 said...

Hi there I have been caught by platte software and did exactly what everyone else has done cone onto the site looking for something else and then when putting in my details I did not read the terms and conditions and there for did not know that I would be charged if I did not cancel it in the three days period allowed. I then got the Platte account Icon on my desktop and called them to complain they said that they would send me a removal code ( this of course gave them my address which was carefull not to give them my correct address)I got the code and it seemed to work I then got a letter from them stating that if I did not pay them £29.95 they would make a claim against me via HMCS MoneyClaim Online and that I should pay up within seven days. I have not as yet paid this as I did not use there site and did not download any of their media and the reason for this was quite simple, after entering the site proper I noted that the the site was a commercial site and I would be required to pay for material down loaded.( baring in mind I went onto the site from google and I was looking for a codec for my video editing software) I believe that this site is a very sofisticated con and I am sure thaton one side of the site they do supply a ligitimate service but on the other hand they pray apon inocent people who fall upon their site quite inocently and have to suffer the intomodation of their threaghtening letters and advanced notis of their court submision details. can you or any one else tell me how I can get out of this as I feel that I am not the only one to be conned by this company and surely will not be that last.
DougB

Stephen said...

Doug - You should go to the MBS/Platte Media Victims Forum; it's linked on my sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Dave.
I also got conned by Platte Media.
The owner of the site is Virgin
aka Richard Branson.
I am now canceling my NTL account
they are paracites.

Stephen said...

There is no reason whatever to believe that Platte Media is owned by Virgin. It is owned by a company in the British Virgin Islands but that is a different matter entirely.

Why on earth do you think that Richard Branson is involved?

Anonymous said...

hI,
I have been conned by platte aswell i cant remember signing up for there site, i called them and told them i was not paying and to get the program of my F&*%$ PC, they sent me a letter with a KEY & CODE number to uninstall the software, i have done this but they can certainly go and whistle for the money they are claiming

Anonymous said...

Ive just unistalled platte im not paying any money i havent recieved anything through the post well they can stick the £49.99 where the sun doesnt shine.

Anonymous said...

This company have caused all sorts of problems by the sound of it!! I believe i was talking to people with made up names. Palatte appeared on my computer one afternoon. Didn't have a clue who the hell they were,rang them and talked to two different men, to be quite honest,judging by their names,i thought it was a joke.I have had the codes to uninstall the stupid site,however they want £49.99 off me!! HELP